Wednesday 16 July 2014

Interview: Author David Leadbetter

Today the Cyder Scribes would like to welcome author  David Leadbetter  who has kindly agreed to answer a few questions.

To start, please could you tell us a bit about yourself and your writing.

I have lived and worked in Swanage most of my life and consider I am very fortunate to be in such a beautiful part of the country. My main work was teaching, but I have also led guided walks for many years. I love books and one of my aims was to become a writer myself.  One subject I have always found fascinating is the paranormal as it provides us with insights into an area I would term the 'elusive fringe' of human experience and how this may connect with certain aspects of science and religion, so it was appropriate that my first book,'Paranormal Purbeck – A Study of the Unexplained', should be on this theme.

What was your journey to publication like?


I spent about a year conducting local research into the paranormal, which took the form of personal interviews with as many people as possible. It soon became apparent that a lot of local people had had paranormal experiences and my material began to grow considerably. I then approached Julie at the Roving Press and sent her a synopsis of my proposed book, which she liked. After that it was a matter of completing my research and putting the book together for publication.  The whole process took just over 2 years and was a very interesting experience.  There are chapters on ghostly phenomena, near death experiences, time and UFO sightings. It soon became clear to me that much of what we term 'paranormal' is perceived intuitively through the right side of the brain – the area that inspires artists, musicians and writers – and that many of us have these experiences. In fact, in the month prior to publication I had three paranormal encounters myself!

To what extent does your local area (Dorset/Somerset) influence your writing?

Dorset is a lovely county and Purbeck is a very inspirational place - perhaps because there is so much variety contained in a relatively small geographical area. There is also a good mix of people among the locals and the added benefit of significant numbers of visitors being attracted to Purbeck. It was therefore important for me to be able to write about some of the local people and places in 'Paranormal Purbeck' from an unusual angle.

Are you a member of a local writers group?

No, not at the moment.

Who are you favourite local authors?

I have always been quite a fan of Thomas Hardy, despite his rather melancholy approach, and I have read many of his novels and some of his poetry. 'Far from the Madding Crowd' is one of my favourites and part of the screen version with Julie Christie was actually filmed in Purbeck.

Do you have a favourite book set in the local area?


'Out of Time' by Pamela Rowlands Smith, which is set in the village of Tyneham. It's a poignant ghost story that spans four centuries, but with the historical background of the Second World War and the village about to be evacuated by the military, never to be returned to its people. I like the juxtaposition of the two time streams and the fact that the author experienced some strange synchronicities in the writing of the book.

Where can people find out a bit more about you and your writing?

The Roving Press and also Amazon, where I have an author profile.

What are you working on at the moment?


I am writing a book on walking in Purbeck, with the focus on natural history and local history(especially prehistoric features). There will be 10 circular walks, covering a range of locations and habitats, plus introductory chapters on the natural history and history.

Where can we buy your books?


The Roving Press, Amazon and a range of local outlets in Purbeck and elsewhere in Dorset

Thank you David for joining us today.


No comments:

Post a Comment